Multimedia Archivist – Internship
As part of the programme “Digital Skills for the Youth” coordinated by Communautique, image+nation is looking for a Multimedia Archivist whose mission will be to set up a useful and practical archiving system on our server so that they can be accessible online as well as digitizing all our physical archives (i.e. VHS, DVD , catalogues, flyers, promotional material). About image+nation
A pioneer of LGBTQ cinema for more than 30 years, image+nation is the oldest festival of its kind in Canada. The films presented aim to preserve the authenticity and diversity of LGBTQ voices while reflecting the ongoing evolution of queer cinema. The festival explores New Queer Storytelling – its uniqueness and universality – by offering a contemporary representation of what it means to be LGBTQ today. image+nation is a queer film festival (LGBTQ2S+) that celebrates its 34th anniversary in 2021. During these years, many films and catalogs were produced. The films we collect in our physical archives are rare and for the most part could only be seen by a small number of people over the years. Our mission is to allow as many stories and queer voices as possible from around the world to be seen and shared in order to consolidate a sense of humanity in the viewer, and make this world a space more accepting of LGBTQ+ people. This is why we need these films and catalogs to be accessible in the time we live in: that of digital and technology. We expect candidates to be autonomous, curious
in order to help our expansion as well as a tremendous gain in experience for you, and for us. The digital archivist will therefore be responsible for (under the wing of their supervisor):
- develop a digital archive system (structure) corresponding to our needs
- organize and manage the storage of the digitized collection (digitized documents and videos) on the server
- develop an interface from which this collection will be accessible, navigable in collaboration with our designer
- the quality and uniformity of the collection
- the digitization of VHS, DVDs, our production archive documents (catalogues, promotional elements, etc.)
- hold an archivist’s degree or certificate, or take courses in archival science or related fields required
- autonomy, determination and initiative required
- desire to design and develop an original project from beginning to end and to go beyond one’s school learning, to innovate in archival presentation thinking.
- have an interest in queer cinema and a desire to participate in making queer historical and contemporary culture accessible (an asset)
- mostly teleworking (flexibility to be discussed)
At image+nation, we value diversity and support underrepresented queer perspectives, whether in culture, sexuality, gender, way of thinking or abilities, so we encourage you to apply whoever you are! Do you want to be part of something bigger than yourself, that would allow queer future generations to flourish? Ready to board? We look forward to discovering your profiles and ideas! Salary
$15.00/h 40 hours per week 33 weeks Eligibility criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the course;
- Have completed post-secondary education;
- Have the legal right to work in Canada;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada;
- Not receiving employment insurance (EI) benefits during the internship;
- Self-assess as underemployed, i.e. they are employed below their level of education or in part-time jobs.
- Have not previously participated in a digital skills internship program as part of Career Focus.
- The course includes a series of training courses coordinated by the Community, which the trainee must attend.
- This internship cannot be carried out as part of the studies.
To apply, send your CV
to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application – Multimedia Archivist”. Answer the following questions in your email:
- What experiences do you have in archival or related fields and what is your career plan in this field if you have one?
- Cite relevant work experience that would make you a good candidate for this position.
- Why do you want to work with image+nation?
- What do you think of the ideal candidate for this position?