AN EXPLORATION OF CONTEMPORARY QUEER STORYTELLING EXPLORING EXPRESSION, CREATION, PRODUCTION, DISSEMINATION, ACCESSIBILITY OF DIVERSITY
This first Canadian queer proLab series will look at how the newmeans of production and distribution of storytelling have altered the landscape of creating media works that represent queer diversity through personal and more realistic visions; relaying these and more importantly, the endless possibilities of making these accessible to a mass audiences. Within this brave new world, we will also examine the potential of collaboration within storytelling and the complexification of cross culture/ cross borders collective engagement in producing media images that represent our queer commonalities and a multiplying of audience outreach possibilities
RE/ INVENTING REALITY
New means of storytelling have changed the business model/ financial production structure of creating media - making ‘authentic’ storytelling a more accessible option for creators and their expressions of diversity.
A round table discussion format will be used to foster exchange between invited participants.
WE’LL ASK THE QUESTIONS:
• what are the new means of dissemination?
• what is their outreach and new audience building potential?
• how do they influence queer storytelling?
THE U.S. PLAYERS
• Silas Howard_filmmaker. writer. director
[Transparent, By Hook or By Crook, Hudson Valley Rollers
• Jeffrey Winter_distributor The Film Collaborative
[production and theatrical/ VOD distribution]
• Jennifer Reeder_independent filmmaker and producer
[Signature Move, Carte Blanche @ FNC]
• Katherine Fairfax Wright_ independent director,
cinematographer [Behind the Curtain: Todrick Hall,
Call me Kuchu]
• Chanelle Aponte Pearson_web series writer, director,
and producer [195 Lewis]
• Tom Gustafson_writer and director
[Hello Again, Were the World Mine]